Dog Bites are a lesser known, but nonetheless extremely serious, public safety issue. Nationwide, nearly 4.5 million Americans are bitten by dogs every year. Out of all of these cases, approximately 1 in 5 will require serious medical attention. Despite the large number of Americans affected by Dog Attacks every year, it is estimated that only 0.3% of all victims file a dog bite injury claim.
Police responded to an emergency dog bite attack in High Point, NC on the afternoon of Friday, February 6th that left 2 children and 2 adults seriously injured. Police say that both children and one of the adults involved in the attack were taken to the hospital for further treatment. None of the injuries sustained are believed to be life-threatening. The attack occurred in an open field, but authorities responded to the scene after the injured children were able to run to a nearby daycare center to call for assistance.
Here are some additional facts about Dog Bites and Dog Attacks according to the Center for Disease Control and DogsBite.org:
- 30 people were fatally injured by dog bites in 2013.
- Every year, 50% of dog bite victims are children. The incidence rate is highest for children ages 5 to 9.
- 78% of attacks occurred on the dog owner’s property.
- Despite the fact that the breed makes up only 6% of the U.S. dog population, 64% of attacks on humans involved Pit Bulls.
- 38% of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog’s owner when the fatal attack occurred.
- Dog bites are the fifth highest reason why children seek emergency room treatment due to activities they voluntarily engage in, such as playing sports.
Here are some easy tips to remember that can help you and your family avoid a dangerous or unpleasant dog bite-related accident.
- Work with your local animal shelter, breeder or rescue organization to choose the right dog for your family. If you have young children in the house, selecting a breed that is traditionally more docile and less aggressive is very important.
- Spay or neuter your dog. This will often reduce aggressive behavior, especially in males.
- Teach your children never to approach an unfamiliar dog. If you or your child sees a dog owner walking with their pet on the street, remember to always ask if it is alright to approach or touch the dog before doing so.
- If your child feels threatened by a dog, teach them to avoid yelling, making loud noises or running away. These behaviors will only antagonize a dog and make the situation worse. If ever knocked to the ground by a dog, remain calm, roll into a ball while protecting your head and face, and be as still as possible.
- Report any stray dogs or dogs displaying unusual behavior to your local animal safety authorities. For Piedmont residents, contact the Piedmont Emergency Animal Response Team or the North Carolina Animal and Agriculture Response Teams.
For millions of Americans, dogs are a beloved member of their family. However, for all the joy that dogs can bring into our lives, it is critical to always remember that at the end of the day, they are still animals. For this reason, it is crucial that pet owners properly train and care for their dogs in order to lessen the chance that they will be involved in a serious or even fatal attack. In the event you are bitten by a dog, keep in mind that the dog’s owner is responsible for their pet’s behavior.
Less than 1% of victims file a dog attack claim, but if you or a loved one has been bitten or injured by a dog, you may be entitled to significant compensation. At Daggett Shuler, North Carolina Personal Injury and Disability law firm, we know how to deal with the insurance companies to secure the maximum compensation to which you are entitled.
After a serious dog attack, you need an experienced dog bite attorney to fight for you. Call the experienced, dedicated North Carolina injury attorneys at Daggett Shuler Law at 1-800-815-5500. When you call, you can speak with an experienced attorney for FREE.
We will work with you from the start of your case through to the finish to make sure you get the proper compensation to which you are entitled. When injured, make one call to Daggett Shuler.
Daggett Shuler – You Can Depend On Us