Pradaxa is a blood-thinning medicine created by Boehringer Ingelheim. It was approved by the FDA in 2010 to prevent strokes associated with atrial fibrillation (“fluttering” heart rhythm).
Pradaxa reduces the risk of ischemic strokes by inhibiting thrombin, an enzyme that is necessary for the formation of blood clots.
In January 2014, the FDA launched a study to compare the bleeding risks of Pradaxa and Warfarin.
In May 2014, the agency issued a Safety Communication to warn that Pradaxa was associated with a 28% higher rate of gastrointestinal bleeding than Warfarin, but lower rates of stroke and death, and similar rates of heart attack.
Common Side Effects of Pradaxa:
- Bleeding is the most serious side effect of taking Pradaxa. The RE-LY clinical trial found that up to 16.4% of Pradaxa users may experience bleeding.
- Gastrointestinal problems are also experienced by up to 35% of people taking Pradaxa. Problems may include indigestion, abdominal pain, ulcers of the digestive tract, black or tarry stools, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and more.
Other Side Effects:
- Internal bleeding
- Rectal bleeding
- Stroke (bleeding in the brain)
- Cerebral hemorrhage
- Heart attacks
If you or somebody you know was injured by severe bleeding, call Daggett Shuler Law today.
When you call, you will receive a FREE, confidential consultation with one of our experienced North Carolina Personal Injury attorneys. At Daggett Shuler Law, we will investigate every detail of your situation at no cost to you. You will never pay an attorney’s fee up front, and you owe us nothing unless we recover for you.
The experienced Winston-Salem and Greensboro, North Carolina Personal Injury attorneys at Daggett Shuler will handle your case with compassion and determination. We will fight hard to hold negligent product manufacturers responsible for your injuries, medical bills and pain and suffering.
If you believe that you or a loved one may have a personal legal claim, you can contact us in one of three ways:
- Contact us online at daggettshulerlaw.com
- Call us toll free at 1-800-815-5500. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day.
- Click here for a Free Case Evaluation
At Daggett Shuler, you can depend on us.