Nursing Home Abuse
How do I report neglect in a nursing home?
Due to the prevalence of nursing home abuse and neglect, there are advocates for residents in long-term care facilities, as well as board and care homes. These advocates are called ombudsmen, and they are fully trained on how to help residents and families file complaints against care facilities.
The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program was created in 1972, and since then, they have been dedicated to helping residents, families, staff and the community to understand the rights of nursing home residents. In fact, every state in the nation has ombudsmen, and there are approximately 8,000 people who volunteer and dedicate their time for the rights of residents.
There are a variety of benefits that a long-term care ombudsman can provide, including:
- Investigating complaints made either for or by residents in nursing homes, such as nutrition, personal hygiene and medications
- Educating families and long-term care staff about the rights of residents and the state and federal laws for nursing home residents and staff
- Helping families choose a nursing home facility for their loved ones
- Presenting important facts about resident rights and long-term care legislative issues
- Motivating and promoting community involvement
- Answering questions about the financial affairs of residents including Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security
For more information about North Carolina Ombudsmen and to contact a representative, click here.
At Daggett Shuler, we understand that sending your loved one to a nursing home is a difficult decision. You want your loved one to be cared for 24/7, by a dedicated staff that will always act in the best interests of your loved ones.
Yet, not all staff or facilities uphold ethical standards, as nursing home abuse and neglect is an extremely serious issue. Approximately one third of all nursing homes have residents who are victims of abuse. In cases of abuse, your loved ones have rights that have been grossly violated. It’s time for justice for you and your family.
If you or a loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, call the experienced North Carolina nursing home abuse lawyers at Daggett Shuler today at 336-724-1234. Our compassionate attorneys have years of experience with nursing home abuse and neglect cases, and are passionate about fighting or justice for your loved ones.
When you call, you will receive a free and confidential consultation. Put an end to nursing home abuse and neglect. Call Daggett Shuler today.
At Daggett Shuler, you can depend on us.