Revision Hip Surgery
In 2012 the Stryker Rejuvenate was recalled due to the serious damage and health risks associated with the hip replacement product. The Stryker Rejuvenate not only has a high failure rate, but a variety of severe complications, including:
- Metallosis: A toxic build-up of metal ions in the body that can affect the thyroid, heart, nervous system, kidney, muscles, lymph nodes and liver.
- Bone fractures as a result of poor fixation of the implants.
- Osteolysis: Bone breakdown.
- Necrosis: Tissue death.
- Pseudo-tumors: A collection of fluid and metal flakes in the body that resembles a tumor.
Once the Zimmer products actually started to be used by patients, it became clear that there were serious problems associated with the devices as well, Independent researchers confirmed these problems after the product was released. Including:
- A 2007 study of patients who used the LPS Flex System showed that the femur replacement component loosened in 38 percent of patients after two years. While most knee replacements should last for between 15 and 20 years, the study in The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery reported that around 56 percent of patients in the study needed a revision surgery because of serious pain caused by the Zimmer knee replacement systems.
- A 2010 study of 166 patients who used the LPS Flex system showed that 30 of the patients experienced loosening of femur replacement components. Patients experienced a lack of stability in the knee, fractures and other complications.
- A March 2010 study in the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons reported that 8.3 percent of 108 patients required a revision surgery and 39 percent of patients showed loosening of the replacement knee components.
In multiple cases, when patients experience these complications, at least one revision surgery is required. The patient has to deal with the pain of the complications and potentially undergo a painful and expensive surgery due to the defective product.
If a defective product has injured you or a loved one, contact a North Carolina defective product lawyer at Daggett Shuler injury & disability lawyers to protect your legal rights. We want to help you hold these thoughtless or careless manufacturers accountable for the unsafe products they market to the unsuspecting public.
At Daggett Shuler, you can depend on us.