With Thanksgiving behind us and New Year’s on the horizon, the holiday season is in full swing. For most of us, that means celebrations with family and friends. For some, however, it could also mean overindulgence. Daggett Shuler Law offers some useful tips to help you enjoy the season safely and responsibly.
‘Tis the Season
Every year, the holiday season marks a notable increase in alcohol-related issues, including binge drinking and driving under the influence offenses. SCRAM Systems—a manufacturer of alcohol monitoring systems—offers informational resources on the nature and frequency of alcohol abuse during the holidays. According to their findings:
- Over 97 million drivers will travel on American roads between December 23rd and January 1st
- 885 people died in alcohol-impaired crashes during December 2017—up from 781 in 2016
- 25,000 people are hurt in alcohol-related vehicle crashes between Thanksgiving and New Year’s
- 51% of drunk drivers say they drink more during the holiday season versus the rest of the year
Stay Safe for the Holidays
If you remember to not drink to excess—and encourage your guests and loved ones to follow suit—you can help ensure a relaxing, enjoyable, and safe holiday season. To make your holiday celebration both happy and safe, follow these simple tips to enjoy alcohol in moderation:
- Resist Pressure to Drink: Don’t feel compelled to drink alcohol simply because your host offers.
- Offer Non-Alcoholic Beverages: Make guests feel comfortable choosing a non-alcoholic beverage.
- Designate a Driver: Decide in advance who will be your designated driver for the evening ahead.
- Choose Your Number: Decide ahead of time how many drinks you’ll have—and firmly stick to it.
- Alcohol is Not the Goal: Remember drinking is simply an option—and not the reason for the party.
We Can Help.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a motor vehicle accident involving a drunk driver, contact Daggett Shuler Law for help. An experienced Drunk Driving Accident Attorney can handle your entire case and work to secure fair and just compensation for you.
If you have questions about a drunk driving accident, call Daggett Shuler at 800-815-5500. When you call, you will speak with a Winston-Salem, North Carolina Drunk Driving Accident Attorney absolutely FREE. We will investigate every detail of your situation at no cost to you—and fight hard to secure the compensation you deserve.
Daggett Shuler Law – You Can Depend on Us