With the childhood obesity epidemic doubling in children and quadrupling in adolescents in the past 30 years, it is evident that measurable action needs to be taken. In North Carolina alone, nearly 50% of children between the ages of 12 and 18 years old are overweight or obese.
Childhood obesity poses a multitude of health issues that could limit a child’s capabilities further down the road, and unfortunately, the problem is not going in the right direction.
Childhood obesity causes the following:
- Joint problems
- Liver problems
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
Attorneys and founding partners David Daggett and Griff Shuler, both advocates for healthy and active living, spoke with Dr. Joey Skelton about a breakthrough program that could change childhood obesity in North Carolina.
Located at the Brenner Children’s Hospital at Wake Forest Health, Brenner FIT is an evidence-based program that targets the treatment of children ages 2 to 18 who suffer weight-related medical concerns. Below are some quick facts about this program:
- Treatment involves participation of the entire family
- Physicians referral is required, as well as a medical exam and blood work
- Free nutrition and parenting classes are available
The Brenner FIT team is composed of a dedicated team of physicians, family counselors, dietitians, social workers, activity/ play specialists and physical therapists.
Learn how the Brenner FIT program can help families achieve lifelong health below:
- 65% of children improve their weight status in the first stage of treatment
- After completing the Brenner FIT program, most children maintain their new weight status. More than half continue to see improvement
- Children show significant signs of improvement in triglyceride and cholesterol levels during treatment
- Children from different races, ethnicities and geographic locations are equally successful
David, Griff and Dr. Skelton will join Triad Today host Jim Longworth to discuss this topic at length and explain how families can enroll in this program.
You have two chances to watch David Daggett and Griff Shuler on Triad Today:
WXLV ABC 45, Saturday 1/21@ 7:30 AM
WMYV MY 48, Sunday 1/22 @ 11:00 AM
Daggett Shuler Law – You Can Depend on Us