Every year there are more horrible reports of nursing home abuse and neglect on the part of care providers we thought we could trust. The North Carolina nursing home abuse lawyers at Daggett Shuler are dedicated to nursing home reform. You have a right to expect more out of the nursing home industry.
North Carolina nursing home abuse and neglect occurs when a nursing home causes injury by not taking proper care of a resident. Abuse is not always easy to discover, but the signs of abuse can make themselves evident in several ways. Visit our Signs of Abuse page to see some common examples of nursing home abuse and neglect or to contact a North Carolina nursing home abuse lawyer today.
The easiest way to uncover abuse or neglect is to communicate with your loved one. Give the resident every opportunity to tell you about neglect or abuse. If the resident mentions being neglected or abused, look for some of the common physical signs of nursing home abuse and neglect.
Signs of Abuse
Common physical signs of nursing home abuse and neglect include:
- Untreated bedsores
- Open wounds, cuts, bruises, or welts
- Torn clothing or broken personal items
- Bruises in a pattern that would suggest restraints
- Excessive and sudden weight loss
- Fleas, lice, or dirt on the resident or in the resident’s room
- Abnormally pale complexion
- Fecal/urine odors
- Poor personal hygiene or other unattended health problems
Signs of a Careless Staff
A careless staff often suggests a situation prone to nursing home abuse and neglect.
Signs to look for include:
- Lack of proper heating or cooling in the nursing home
- Caregiver’s inability to explain the resident’s condition
- Caregiver’s refusal to allow visitors to see resident alone
- Caregiver allowing the resident to wander off the premises
- Sudden change in the resident’s medication
At Daggett Shuler injury lawyers, our first focus is helping you, listening to you, and letting you know everything you can do to help your loved one. Our North Carolina nursing home abuse lawyers are committed to helping you and using our legal expertise to eliminate nursing home abuse and neglect in North Carolina. The more clients we help, the closer our community comes to having nursing homes that are free from abuse and neglect.
If you believe that you or a loved one may have a personal legal claim, you can contact us in one of three ways:
- Contact us online at daggettshulerlaw.com
- Call us toll free at 1-800-815-5500. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day.
- Click here for a Free Case Evaluation
At Daggett Shuler, you can depend on us.