Since 1998 deaths caused by motorcycle accidents have continued to increase annually. In fact, motorcycle related fatalities accounted for 13% of all motor vehicle deaths in 2015. Recently another local motorcycle accident occurred in Oak Ridge, NC, which claimed the life of one motorcyclist and injured his passenger.
Our sincere condolences go out to the families affected by this tragic accident. We all need to work together in bringing greater motorcycle safety awareness to all riders.
According to Insurance Information Institute:
- Motorcyclists in 2014 were 27x more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash per mile traveled
- Motorcyclists in 2014 were 5x more likely to be injured in a motorcycle accident crash per mile traveled
- Approximately 8.4 million motorcycles were on the road in 2014.
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) an 8.3% increase occurred from 2014 to 2015 bringing the number of motorcycle fatalities to 4,594 in 2015.
- In 2013 the NHTSA estimated that helmets saved the lives of 1,630 motorcyclists.
- If all motorcyclists had worn helmets, an additional 715 lives could have been saved.
North Carolina enacted the Universal Helmet Law in 1968 requiring all motorcyclists to wear a helmet.
According to Cruiser Magazine here are some motorcycle accident prevention tips:
- Make Sure You Are Seen – 90-95% of all drivers’ state that they can’t see you so make sure you’re taking the extra step to be seen. Your high beam is more conspicuous than low beam, and reflective/bright clothing is better than leather.
- In traffic stay in the mix with the cars – When you go through intersections where cross-traffic wants to use the pavement you own, stay right next to a car’s front fender so you’re not in the driver’s blind spot and use the car as a shield.
- Drinking and driving is a NO – Just like if you were operating a motor vehicle one should never ride their bike if they have had any alcoholic beverages.
Read the full article here.
Let’s strive to keep 2017 a safe driving year for everyone. At Daggett Shuler Law, North Carolina motorcycle accident lawyers, we care about the safety of all North Carolina drivers.
If you or a loved one is injured in a motorcycle accident that was not your fault, call Daggett Shuler Law right away at 336-724-1234. When you call, you will speak with an experienced Winston-Salem and Greensboro Motorcycle Accident Attorney absolutely FREE. We will review every detail of your accident at no cost and fight hard to protect your rights.
When you call Daggett Shuler you can speak with an experienced Winston-Salem and Greensboro accident attorney for free. We will investigate every detail of your situation and fight hard to protect your rights. At Daggett Shuler Law, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front and you owe us nothing until we recover for you.
Daggett Shuler Law – You Can Depend on Us