The U.S. Department of Transportation has designated May as Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. Warmer weather is approaching, and motorcycles are coming out of storage and onto our roads. As always, Daggett Shuler Law urges motorcyclists and drivers to be safe.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says 88,000 riders were injured—and 4,976 killed—in 2015. According to statistics, motorcyclists account for 14% of traffic fatalities, though they represent only 3% of vehicles registered. Crash data from 2016 also indicates:
- Motorcyclist deaths occurred 28 times more often than those in other vehicles
- 27% of riders involved in fatal crashes did not have valid motorcycle licenses
- 25% of motorcyclists involved in all fatal collisions were impaired by alcohol
- 37% of motorcyclists killed in single-vehicle accidents were alcohol impaired
- Riders are five times more likely to be injured than passenger-car occupants
The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) report North Carolina 2017 Traffic Crash Facts offers an illustrated analysis of crash statistics across the state. The NCDOT reports 3,722 total crashes involving motorcycles. Of those, 2,991 resulted in injuries. All told, 145 motorcyclists were killed on North Carolina roads in 2017, down from the 151 reported fatalities in 2016.
Stay Safe, Ride Responsibly
Experienced riders understand traffic laws and don’t take unnecessary risks. Daggett Shuler Law urges motorcyclists of all ages and levels of experience to practice responsible behavior on the road, including the following:
- Obey all traffic signals, road signs, and speed limits.
- Ride with traffic and leave room around other vehicles.
- Always check the area and signal before changing lanes.
- Be sure to ride defensively at all times in any traffic.
Most crashes involving motorcycles occur when drivers do not see motorcyclists. Increase your visibility with reflective materials, and keep your headlights on at all times.
We Can Help.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident through no fault of your own, contact Daggett Shuler Law for help. An experienced Motorcycle Accident Attorney can handle your entire case and work to secure fair and just compensation for you.
If you have questions about a motorcycle accident, call Daggett Shuler at 800-815-5500. When you call, you will speak with a Winston-Salem, North Carolina Motorcycle Accident Attorney absolutely FREE. We will investigate every detail of your situation at no cost to you—and fight hard to secure the compensation you deserve.
Daggett Shuler Law – You Can Depend on Us